Thing 4: Blogging Begins with Reading

Reading through the blogs of other people was quite interesting: 

For instance Patrick’s blog about 5th grade.  I enjoyed the idea that he improved his writing and reading skills via blogging.  The comments back from other people were great as well.  I can see how this facilitating learning for Patrick through both reading and writing practice.  It also encouraged him when people commented back to him. We want to do a blog with our students however all blogging websites are blocked in our school. It is a struggle to get people to see how these can be used to increase learning in school but we will eventually implement this type of learning in the classroom.

Then there was the blog by Mr. Meyers on not giving homework in math !! The blog was enlightening and informative yet written with a lot of humor.  The blog was great and made me think about homework and how much homework is good to give as well as whether it should be given at all.  I thought I was the only person teaching math who had those thoughts and feelings.  The commenting on the blog added as much as the blog itself.  His philosophies on homework and the students that actually do the homework were great and seeing a number of people agree with him and disagree with his ideas was great.

The blog by Anne Davis from Georgia State University entitled Rationale for educational blogging should be read by everyone who opposes blogging as a valid way to learn.  Blogging can improve reading and writing skills by all.  Reading blogs and commenting to them is a great way to allow students to express their opinions in response to the thougths of others.  It can only improve how we read and write. 

Most of the blogs that I read were very similar in their layout until I came to the blog for a Math class.  It was called a scribe post.  I can see it as being a great way to set up a homework blog for students.  It would be a great way to get my students to consider doing homework.  It is a different style of writing but equally beneficial. 

While the blogs I read were all different yet similar, the one that stuck out to me was the one created by high school students from all over the world.  It was great to see how many comments and how a blog can grow and improve with the growth.  Students seemed to want to add to the blog and share their own experiences with each other.  The more I read the more I realize that blogging is a great strategy to use in education with students and adults alike.